Information for New Students (Spring Semester 2012)

Updated on: February 08, 2011|  PrintPrint


1. Visa Application:

After you receive all the documents listed below, please apply for College Student Visa at the nearest Japanese Embassy or Consulate as soon as possible.

(1) The letter of admission (enclosed)

(2) Passport

(3) The Certificate of Eligibility (to be mailed later)

International Office will apply for the Certificate of Eligibility at the Tokyo Immigration Bureau on your behalf. We will send you this Certificate immediately after the Immigration Bureau issues the document (around late-February). When you receive this Certificate, you must apply for visa.  Please be sure to bring this Certificate with you when you enter Japan because you need to present it to the immigration officer at the part of entry.

If you enter Japan in “Temporary Visitor ”status, it is difficult to change it to "college student"  status after your arrival.  You must obtain “college student” visa in advance. 


2. Orientation:

The orientation for new exchange students will be held from Thursday, April 5, to Tuesday, April 10. All new exchange students must attend the orientation. Please refer to the enclosed ‘Tentative Orientation Schedule’ for details. The classes will start on Wednesday, April 11.

International Office will organize some sessions conducted in English and Japanese separately. Please choose the appropriate sessions you wish to attend and fill out the separate sheet “Notice on Spring 2012 Orientation Sessions” and send the form back to the International Office either by FAX or e-mail before Saturday, February 25.


3. Arrival in Japan:

Rikkyo University International Dormitory (RUID) Residents:

The official move-in dates are Sunday, April 1 and Monday, April 2. If you arrive after 9:00 p.m. on a weekday, or on Sunday (except April 1) and National Holiday, you cannot check into your dormitory room. In these cases, you must arrange a suitable lodging for yourself.

With the request in advance, we may arrange a volunteer student to meet you at the bus depot of Asakadai station or Shiki station which are the nearest station of each dormitory only if you arrive in Tokyo during the official move-in dates. You need to take the airport bus from Narita International Airport or Haneda International Airport. For details, please refer to “Guide Service to the Dormitory”.

You need to notify your flight schedule and the date and time of your arrival in Japan using the enclosed form ‘Arrival Schedule Form’ by Saturday, March 10.


 Those who arrange their own accommodation:

 You must arrive in Japan before Thursday, April 5, in order to attend the orientation. It is your responsibility to arrange proper accommodation for your stay in Tokyo. 


4. Housing Contract:  Rikkyo University International Dormitory (RUID) residents

You must read the enclosed information regarding RUID and send us “Housing Contract for Rikkyo University Special International Student” to International Office by Saturday, February 25. You may fax or e-mail the document first if your mail is unlikely to arrive in time.

If you would like to cancel to live in our dorm, please be sure to inform us via e-mail by Saturday, February 25.


5. The Semester Schedule:  Please refer to the enclosed ‘Tentative Orientation Schedule’ for details.


6. Affiliation:  Please refer to the enclosed letter of admission.


7. Course Catalog and Related Information:

   We will send you information in the next admission package (late-February)


8. Tuition:

   Usually, tuition costs are waved for the students from Rikkyo’s partner institutions. 


9. Other Fee:

3,500 yen (Rikkyo Student Mutual-Aid Health Insurance) * See No.12-(2)


10. Living Expenses:

The average monthly living expenses for international students is about 120,000 yen.


11. Scholarship: (To be announced later)

Until the first payment of the scholarship, you should be able to pay all costs including the rent yourself. It usually costs about 3,000-4,000 yen per day to live in Tokyo.

With RUI scholarship, grantees do not have to pay the dormitory residence fee. There is no direct cash payment for this scholarship.


12. Health Insurance:

Special International Students may join the following types of health insurance programs during their stay in Japan.


(1) National Health Insurance (required):

Foreign residents whose landing permit in Japan is valid for 12 months or longer must join the National Health Insurance Program. The insurance covers about 70% of incurred medical and dental costs. The premium will be about 3,000 yen per month (based on the information in the past years), but international students, upon declaration of lack of income, may receive a discount and not need to pay the full amount.


(2) Rikkyo Student Mutual-Aid Health Insurance Union (optional):

International students who will study at Rikkyo University may join the Rikkyo Student Mutual-Aid Health Insurance Union Program.

By combining with the National Health Insurance, you may reduce the costs significantly. 

You need to pay the annual premium of 3,500 yen in cash on the first day of orientation.


The insurance programs above are for the medical expenses incurred during your stay in Japan and do not cover the accidents/sickness outside Japan or during overseas travel. At your own discretion, you must purchase overseas travelers’ accident (and/or sickness) insurance which covers all of your study abroad period in Japan before coming to Japan and submit the proof of such insurance with the enclosed “Special International Student Health Insurance Form” by Thursday, March 15.


13. "Comprehensive Renter's Insurance for Foreign Students Studying in Japan":

You must join the "Comprehensive Renter's Insurance for Foreign Students Studying in Japan" if you ask Rikkyo University to serve as the institutional guarantor when you rent an apartment. The premium will be 4,000 yen for a contract period of one year.

Please note that the University may not be able to serve as an institutional guarantor in some cases, depending on the terms and conditions of the rental agreement. Please consult the center for International Studies for farther information.


14. Transportation Information:  Please refer to the enclosed “Living Guide in Japan.”


15. Please submit the following documents by the appointed time.






Notice on Spring 2012 Orientation Sessions (designated form)

Saturday, February 25, 2012


Housing Contract (RUID residents only)

Saturday, February 25, 2012


Arrival Notification Form (designated form)

Saturday, March 10, 2012


Health Insurance Form (designated form)

Thursday, March 15, 2012